Week 2 Story: The Orange Goblin

The Bermuda Triangle, a place notorious for plane and ship disappearances
photo credits: Wikimedia Commons
There was an orange goblin that lived in Palm Beach, Florida who was very rich, but very mean. This orange goblin would use his money to pay other goblins to do his dirty work. His goblins would do anything their goblin boss told him, even if it was the kick people out of their homes or to steal their money.

The orange goblin spent most of his time bossing his goblin employees around, but when he wasn't doing that he liked to play golf and buy real estate to create golf courses. He hoped that one day he would be able to take away enough people's homes, money and land that he could turn the entire United States into a golf course, thus forcing those who had once lived there to flee the country. Once he had turned the entire country into a golf course, he would build walls around the entire border of the United States so that he could rule his golf course with only his closest goblin friends.

One day, he declared his plan to the country. "I will kick everyone out of the country and turn everything into a golf course. I have my goblin friends to help me and I won't be stopped!" Some citizens, like the mermaids of the country, swam away to the Bahamas or Cuba. Other creatures like centaurs ran all the way to the tip of South America, but the fairies of the country would not put up with the orange goblins nonsense and they planned to trick him with their wit, for it was common knowledge that the orange goblin was not too bright.
The fairies teamed up and decided on a plan. After many months of discussion, they finally settled on the perfect plan. They would tell the orange goblin that there was an island off the coast of Florida that had the most lush rolling hills and the brightest sunny weather. "It would be great for a golf course!" they would say to the orange goblin.

One day one of the fairies told the orange goblin of the rolling green hills that were off the coast of Florida. When he heard about this place, he demanded to know of its exact location, so the fairy handed a map over. The orange goblin looked at the map and decided to send one of his goblin employees to check out the area.

The fairy flew back to her friends and told them what had happened. "Our plan has failed she said," for the fairies had hoped that the orange goblin would follow their map and fly straight into the Bermuda triangle, never to return again. "This is even better!" another fairy exclaimed, "the orange goblin is very paranoid and thinks everyone is out to get him. If we send each of his goblin employees into the Bermuda Triangle, never to return, the orange goblin will think that they are creating a gold course without him!"

And that is exactly what the fairies did. After all of the orange goblin's employees had been lost in the Bermuda Triangle and not returned to tell their boss about the land, they convinced him that is was because they were conspiring without him. Never wanting to be overpowered, the orange goblin flew his own plane to the magical land that the fairies had told him about. He never returned to the United States. And group by group the magical creatures that had once lived in the United States returned to live in harmony.


Author Note and Bibliography: The story that I was inspired from was Goblin City from The Giant Crab, and Other Tales from Old India by W. H. D. Rouse. In this story, sailors are shipwrecked on an island of female goblins who marry them and then plot to eat them. When one of the sailors finds out about the plan, he speaks with a fairy who creates a plan to save them. The fairy sends a horse with wings to rescue them and carry to safety. In my story I included fairies who also plot to save those around them from the goblins. I also chose to rework the ship wreck from Goblin City into a plane crash in the Bermuda Triangle. 
 

Comments

  1. It is so exciting to get to read the first story of the semester, Blake... and adapting the mysterious Lanka to the mysterious Bermuda Triangle is such a genius idea! And just what makes a good ruler is a HUGE theme in the Indian Epics, and one that is very relevant to our times. Good rulers are hard to find (Rama is often viewed as an ideal ruler by modern-day Indian politicians: Ram Rajya)... but bad rulers come in all kinds of varieties. Including orange goblin-golfers, ha ha. Unfortunately, goblin-fighting fairies are also in short supply! Where are they when we need them???

    Anyway, THANK YOU for this very first story of the semester. I am really glad the instructions for the assignment made sense. I've got your email about the projects too and I'll have comments back to you about that later today. It is really exciting to see someone taking total advantage of the chance to work ahead this week. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is great. I love how you incorporated Florida and the Bermuda Triangle. I also like how you described the goblin as being rich and mean. I like how you went into detail with how he pays other goblins to do his dirty work. The best part was when the goblin said "I will kick everyone out of the country and turn in everything into a golf course". This was comical and a great addition. Good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved this story! I like how you decided to use the Bermuda Triangle into your story. It would seem that the orange goblin is self conscious. Why wouldn't he be? I think the story you told is a funny rendition of the original story. I think the image you chose helped me visualize where the Bermuda Triangle was in relation to Florida, so thank you! Nice story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you found inspiration in parts of the original story like the conflict between the goblin and fairies and the shipwreck and reworked them into a new story. Instead of telling a story with a similar plot with a new setting and characters you used a similar setting and characters to tell a new story. I also liked how you flipped where everyone ends up. The evil orange goblin is banished and everyone gets to come back home and live peacefully together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blake, I just read a few other stories that interpreted this same Jataka, but yours was one of my favorites by far! I really enjoyed how you used the mystical characters such as mermaids and fairies, because it added to the development and entire theme of your story. I think that it would enhance the story if you utilized more descriptions of those creatures and how their attributes and characteristics added to the setting and plot development. I also think that the story had a somewhat abrupt ending. The plot was developing for a while, and I was excited to see the ending develop but it seemed to resolve too quickly and too easily. In the future, maybe spend an equal amount of time developing the end of the story as well. Aside from that, you use great descriptive language that could flourish even more! I think you could challenge yourself on utilizing new adjectives for future stories because you already do that really well. Overall, this is a great story! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blake,

    Your creativity is pure genius! You had my attention at orange goblins. Your beginning is very strong, but I think if you add a bit more to your ending it will be even better. I completely understand the word count constraint, but if your storybook has any correlation to this, you should definitely add to this story and use it! The creativity and imagination in this story make me want more of it, I felt the end came way to quickly, but you know that's what they say a good story should make the reader feel. I wonder had the fairies not been one the creatures what would have happened to the states, would the orange goblin have been successful? Or would another creature have tried to fight him for control? Or would the fleeing creatures have banded together and come back to challenge the orange goblin. Also I can't help. but wonder, why fairies? What is the significance? I hope some of my questions give you an idea if you ever choose to expand on this particular story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Blake! This story definitely had me smiling. I hope everyone caught your reference. It's a darn shame you couldn't have found a picture of this hideous orange goblin. I had a little bit of a hard time telling where your story started, so you might possibly consider moving your image above/below the start of you text instead of beside it! I think it would've been funny if the fairies really thought they'd failed, abandoned their plans, and then heard that the orange goblin had come up with the ridiculous idea that his employees were conspiring against him. This would really showcase the goblin's wit. I noticed a couple minor spelling errors so you might give it one more read-through out loud. Also, hear me out, what if he took a ship to the Bermuda triangle and the mermaids helped capsize him. I kind of like the idea of the creatures he kicked out having an active hand in his downfall. Very nice story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Blake,
    This was such an incredible read. The way that you manipulated the story to completely make it your own, but without changing the premise of the story. I loved how you incorporated the Bermuda Triangle into this story. I personally would have never thought about it whilst reading the original story, but as soon as I realized which story you based this one off of I immediately made the connection. The town in the original and the Bermuda Triangle are eerily similar. I wonder if that town in the story was in the Bermuda Triangle. That would be an awesome way to incorporate the town into the story as well. What if you added a town with a different race of goblins that was basically the same town as in the original story? I feel as though this would be a cool similarity between both your's and the original story's plot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment